Re: Now trying Cygwin with normal download of PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter <peter(at)helpnet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Now trying Cygwin with normal download of PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-02-22 15:29:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Peter <peter(at)helpnet(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I have the latest Cygwin and PostgreSQL 7.2. Using the installation
> instructions at http://people.freebsd.org/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html,
> make produces the messages:
> pg_passwd.o(.text+0x763):pg_passwd.c: undefined reference to 'crypt'

If you can figure out *why* that happens, we'll be glad to apply the fix
in future versions, but there's not a lot we can do about it remotely;
you're going to have to do some of the legwork yourself. (This is open
source software, after all.)

You could start by looking at the configure log (config.log) to see if
it found libcrypt or not. If there is a libcrypt, did it get mentioned
in LIBS in src/Makefile.global? Is it mentioned in the build command
for pg_passwd (which you carefully omitted from your complaint)?