Re: odbc version

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: odbc version
Date: 2002-02-21 02:03:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>
> > Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> > >
> > There are 2 drivers at the url.
> > psqlodbc.dll the newest ODBC 2.50 driver(not a trial one).
> > psqlodbc30.dll ODBC 3.0 driver (a trial one which
> > was never announced to be offically supported).
> >
> > Judging from your ODBC trace log you sent me, your
> > application is completely a ODBC 3.0 one. So I'd like
> > to see how my trial ODBC 3.0 driver works with you app.
>
> Yes. I agree. The trial ODBC 3.0 driver generates a "segmentation
> violation" when we try to use it.
>
> So, my second question is, is it the Microsoft ODBC that is version 3.0?

Please remember there's always an ODBC driver manager
between your app and the ODBC driver. Though your app
calls many ODBC 3.0 specific APIs, the driver manager
translates them into ODBC 2.50 APIs as much as possible
when you are using ODBC 2.50 driver via your DSN definition.
My trial ODBC 3.0 driver implements many(? at least not all
unfortunately) of ODBC 3.0 specific APIs and the driver
manager doesn't have to translate them.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue