[Fwd: Re: pgaccess connection problems]

From: Rabin Nathan <rnathan_tg(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: pgaccess connection problems]
Date: 2002-01-29 21:56:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: pgaccess connection problems
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:34:59 -0800
From: Rabin Nathan <rnathan(at)telus(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hi,
I am a novice user hence the novice question. I am able to connect to to
the Postmaster using 'psql' while in console mode and in an xterm
window. However when I try to connect using 'pgaccess' from the same
xterm window or when starting up the program from a window manager I get
a 'connection failed message' followed by the much quoted - 'is the
postmaster running on the local host, started with the 'i' option and
listening on port 5432.' During all this the user name remained the
same and the Postmaster was running in the background. I am running
Linux and the kernel version is 2.4.8.

I am not connected via a network hence I don't see the need for the 'i'
option. I have tried it and it causes problems with 'psql..' All
connections are made to the local host.

There is not much documentation on 'pgaccess' other than the man page.
Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Rabin