Re: sql scripts

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com>, PgSQL-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sql scripts
Date: 2002-01-23 03:12:59
Lists: pgsql-general

When bash interprets the magic line starting with #! it appends the filename to the end of
the command, it doesn't pipe the contents of the file to stdin. So when I was trying to
write the shells script first I tried something like

#!/usr/local/bin/psql -U someuser -d dbname -f

but psql couldn't handle the magic line itself, and you can't have pipes in the magic
line, so I finally settled on using tail on the script itself (inspired by the jdk
installers from sun).

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks(at)selectacast(dot)net