lo_export -- permission denied

From: Alexander Pucher <pucher(at)atlas(dot)gis(dot)univie(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: lo_export -- permission denied
Date: 2002-01-20 14:48:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

i followed this
(http://designmagick.50megs.com/postgresql-tutorial/file.html) tutorial
to import/export files to/from PostgreSQL. It all works fine on my
Notebook, but when I try to put it on another machine,

"select lo_export(OID,'path/on/local/disc')"

comes up with an error:

Warning : PostgreSQL query failed: ERROR: lo_export: can't open unix
file "/path/to/local/disc/filename": Permission denied in
/path/to/php_files/file_retrieve.php on line 64

It works fine when I change the local output path to /tmp, but it fails
when the path is under the webserver root. I checked/compared all
file/diretory permissions on both machines, they're all the same.

Any suggestions ?

Regards
ALEX

Institut fuer Geographie und Regionalforschung
Universität Wien
Kartografie und Geoinformation

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartographie and GIS

Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

Tel: (+43 1) 4277 48644
Fax: (+43 1) 4277 48649
E-mail: pucher(at)atlas(dot)gis(dot)univie(dot)ac(dot)at

FTP: ftp://ftp.gis.univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto

"He that will not apply new remedies must expect new evils; for time is
the greatest innovator"--Francis Bacon