Re: tuptoaster.c must *not* use SnapshotAny

From: Joe Conway <jconway(at)cox(dot)net>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tuptoaster.c must *not* use SnapshotAny
Date: 2002-01-18 06:16:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Though I've often seen the reference to bytea BLOB
> I remember no clear negation. Don't we have to negate
> it clearly from the first ?
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

With the changes in 7.2, bytea is actually very close to matching the
SQL99 definition of binary strings, which it also refers to as BLOB.
BLOBS should include support for (section 4.3):

<comparison predicate> - yes
<blob concatenation> - yes
<blob substring function> - yes
<blob overlay function> - no
<trim function> - yes
<length expression> - yes
<position expression> - yes
<like predicate> - yes

Other than the overlay function, the primary thing missing is the use of
hex as the I/O representation.

See table 3-9 at
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/datatype-binary.html
for more info.