Re: Telling how many records are joined

From: Bill Cunningham <billc(at)ballydev(dot)com>
To: andrew_perrin(at)unc(dot)edu, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Telling how many records are joined
Date: 2002-01-04 19:20:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

It sounds like you want unique papercode items right?

Thats what distinct keyword is for:

SELECT distinct papercode, count(papercode) FROM papers, letters
WHERE papers.paperid=letters.paperid AND
letters.letterid IN (SELECT DISTINCT o_letterid FROM pattern_occurrences)
GROUP BY papercode;

Also a another trick you can include just those having a count of more
than one:

SELECT distinct papercode, count(papercode) FROM papers, letters
WHERE papers.paperid=letters.paperid AND
letters.letterid IN (SELECT DISTINCT o_letterid FROM pattern_occurrences)
GROUP BY papercode HAVING count(papercode) > 0;

- Bill