Re: Disable WAL completely

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: "Kathirvel, Jeevanandam" <Jeevanandam(dot)Kathirvel(at)honeywell(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable WAL completely
Date: 2008-02-18 15:34:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:32 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 03:00:47PM +0530, Kathirvel, Jeevanandam
> wrote:
>> Is there way to minimize the I/O operation on disk/CF.
>> Can I create RAM file system and point the pg_xlog files to RAM
>> location instead of CF. whether this will work?
>
> it will, but in case you'll lost power you will also (most probably)
> loose your database.

Right. Without the xlog directory you'll have very little chance of
ever doing any kind of clean stop/start of your database. If you
don't need the reliability offered by Postgres's use of transaction
logs you'll probably be much better served with a different database
or even a completely different storage scheme than trying to make
Postgres fit that bill.

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik(at)myemma(dot)com