Re: PostgreSQL GUI

From: Tommi Mäkitalo <t(dot)maekitalo(at)epgmbh(dot)de>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL GUI
Date: 2001-12-30 19:39:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-general

Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>>I just started coding a GUI for PostgreSQL. I would like to hear, what you
>>think about that.
>>It will be open source. I haven't released any code yet, but there are some
>>screenshots at http://www.maekitalo.de/pgexplorer.html.
>>I code it it Qt with linux. It should compile under this so popular single
>>user OS too.
>>

>Dear Tommi,
>
>This sound very ... very exciting.
>
>Do you take advantage of Qt3 PostgreSQL widgets? Do you make use of a
>database abstraction layer to be able to query (and migrate) MySQL or Oracle?
>
>Best regards,
>Jean-Michel POURE

Hi,

no I don't use Qt3. I use qt2 by now. I have written my own little
C++-layer on top of the C-api.

Mirgrating to MySQL or Oracle would be pretty hard. The program tries to
show and modify all I can get out of the systemtables. And these are
very postgreSQL-specific. If I would use a abstractionlayer I doubt
other databasesystems (or SQL-filesystems like MySQL;-) ) will not give
me exactly these informations I try to show.

By the way - I switched the name already. I just found a pgexplorer at
http://www.pgexplorer.com. I switched to qpsql. Maybe someone out there
has a better name?

I put the source online now. You can download it at
http://www.maekitalo.de/qpsql. The screenshots don't match the published
version. I will make new ones soon.

Tommi Mäkitalo