Re: won't drop the view

From: Oleg Lebedev <olebedev(at)waterford(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: won't drop the view
Date: 2001-12-26 02:49:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thanks everybody for your help.
Deleting from pg_statistic restored view performance to the way it was
before I ran vacuum analyze.
Below I attach two files that contain explain statistics for the view before
(progress_report.txt) and after (progress_report_analyzed.txt) I ran vacuum
analyze. The first one takes about 15 secs. to complete, the second one
takes 12-13 minutes to complete.
I hope this will help you improve your query optimizer.
thanks,

Oleg

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> > Damn. I can only really help with the obvious things, and you've
> > covered most of those. That view should take a long time, given the
> > complexity ... but a long time is 30-60 seconds, not 10 minutes.
>
> I'm guessing it's ye olde stupid-choice-of-plan kind of problem.
> Unless I missed it, we have not been shown the plan currently being
> used (no, the first four lines don't do it for me...)
>
> You could probably get back to the previous, not-so-slow plan choice
> by doing "DELETE FROM pg_statistic" to remove the data collected by
> VACUUM ANALYZE. A comparison of the EXPLAIN output in that state
> vs. the EXPLAIN output in the analyzed state might be enlightening.
>
> regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
progress_report.txt text/plain 6.0 KB
progress_report_analyzed.txt text/plain 5.6 KB