Re: Connection Pooling, a year later

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, owensmk(at)earthlink(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Connection Pooling, a year later
Date: 2001-12-18 16:29:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> The trick for that is to call COMMIT before you pass the backend to a
> new person.

The failure to COMMIT is a programmer error - ROLLBACK's much safer. At
least that's what we decided in the AOLserver community, and that's
what the drivers for Oracle and PG (the two I maintain) implement.

> Now, if you want to abort a left-over transaction, you can
> do an ABORT but that is going to show up in the server logs because an
> ABORT without a transaction causes an error message.

The connection pooling mechanism needs to track the transaction state
and only ROLLBACK a handle that's not in autocommit state or in the
midst of a BEGIN/END transaction (again, Oracle vs. PG)..

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR