pgAccess v. Access2000

From: jim davis <jdavis(at)amphi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAccess v. Access2000
Date: 2001-12-13 22:01:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Ok, I am sure if i spent 3 days looking through the archives I might
find someone with an answer...
Anyway, we have this database currently running on Access2000 with a MS
Personal Web server. This is bad, as we finally talked "them" into
letting us move it to a PostgreSQL server and Apache. I was able to
export the tables and data out of the Access database with out any
problems. The problems arise when the folks that maintain the database
want to go and look at the stuff in it and make changes, or set flags.
When it was running on Access, they could preform one of the bazillion
queries they developed and directly modify the tables from the query.
My first attempt was to install the PostgreSQL ODBC drivers and attack
it that way. I was able to link the tables and I can even update the
tables, but when I make a query either in pass-through or "design view"
mode, it will query, but I cannot edit the tables. Everything I have
read on the issue says I can't. So I went look for another answer, and
found pgAccess. It seems like it nice little app, however lacking in
docs. I can create a query in visual design view (just like MS Access)
and it works great, however I am stuck with the same problem. I cannot
directly edit the table based on the query. In addition, one of the
queries they have set up, prompts for a "criteria" value. The "visual
design view" part of pgAccess has a line for criteria, but as far as I
can tell, it has to be entered at the time of the query. Is there a way
to make pgAccess prompt for a value? As unstable and unsecure as Access
is, it does seem to offer some nice features that I am sure our folks
are not going to want to give up if it makes their lives harder to use a
better DB like PostgreSQL. Thanks!
--
-Jim Davis
Network Coordinator II