Re: Bug #534: factorial function

From: "Janko F(dot) Richter" <j(dot)richter(at)wallstreet-develop(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #534: factorial function
Date: 2001-12-10 15:34:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Bug #534: factorial function
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:28:15 +0100
From: "Janko F. Richter" <j(dot)richter(at)wallstreet-develop(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>

Hallo Bruce,

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yep, 0! sure looks like a bug. We will fix it in 7.3. Not sure about
> the double precision. Comments?

Perhaps a good idea is to implement the Gamma function additional
to factorial function. The gamma function as general function of
factorial accepts float/double values as argument and returns double.

Maybe a good idea too is to implement a set of standard statistical
functions for instance normal, poisson, binomial, etc to get less range
overflow while using statistical functions.

Perhaps when I'll have time, I will try to write a set of this functions
as contrib next year.

Thank you and regards ,

Janko