Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...

From: Paul Stavrides <pstav123(at)adelie(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...
Date: 2001-11-30 17:18:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

>How about the other files in $PGDATA/global? (Posting an ls -lR of
>the post-failure $PGDATA might be helpful.)
>
>pg_database should be created, and one entry put into it, as a result of
>the first steps in the "Creating global relations" operation (the
>postgres run that's reading global.bki). Correct contents of
>$prefix/share/global.bki for 7.1 are exhibited below --- does yours look
>the same.

No, looks like this is the cause. My $prefix/share/global.bki is only
17 bytes long and has only the header line:

# PostgreSQL 7.1

I guess I need to figure out how/when this is generated in the build
process.

-paul

The ll -R of $PGDATA is short:

[postgres(at)redtop pgsql]$ ll -R data
data:
total 32
drwx------ 3 postgres postgres 4096 Nov 30 12:11 base
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 Nov 30 12:11 global
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 7399 Nov 30 12:11 pg_hba.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1118 Nov 30 12:11 pg_ident.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 4 Nov 30 12:11 PG_VERSION
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 Nov 30 12:11 pg_xlog
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 3137 Nov 30 12:11 postgresql.conf

data/base:
total 4
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres 4096 Nov 30 12:11 1

data/base/1:
total 4
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 4 Nov 30 12:11 PG_VERSION

data/global:
total 8
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 8192 Nov 30 12:11 pg_control

data/pg_xlog:
total 16404
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Nov 30 12:11 0000000000000000

My global.bki in $prefix/share/ is exactly the same as you said it shoud
be but the