Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...

From: Paul Stavrides <pstav123(at)adelie(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...
Date: 2001-11-30 15:37:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

>Paul Stavrides <pstav123(at)adelie(dot)net> writes:
>
>>Initdb is failing most of the time on RH 7.1.
>>

>Very strange, considering that lots of other people build successfully
>on the same platform. I've got to think there is something odd about
>your local setup.

Yes, I would think so. Inconsistant too. I got it to run once with a
switch back to 7.3.1 from 7.3.2. I will have to try on another machine.
I had the rpm's install on my laptop here, but I thought that I
removed any files that the rpms might have dropped in my path. I am
specifying all paths completely. Maybe some paths are not quite kosher
for the postgres user....

>You did edit NAMEDATALEN *before* you compiled anything, right? After
>you've changed it, you'd probably need a "make clean" before rebuilding.
>Also, what did you set it to?

Oh yea. I think I set it to 100. I have even resorted to 'make
distclean' and a reconfigure in between trials...

>Most peculiar. .../1262 would be pg_database, which certainly ought to
>exist. If you run initdb with --noclean, is that file present after the
>failure? Permissions and so forth look reasonable? What's its size?

Yes, I know, the -n switch. No, 1262 never gets created as far as I can
tell. I am going to have to get much deeper into this, I'm afraid.

Thanks,

-paul