7.2b3 pg_dump, general 7.2b3 comments

From: Joe Conway <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 7.2b3 pg_dump, general 7.2b3 comments
Date: 2001-11-29 04:48:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is pg_dump supposed to work against prior version databases? I was
moving data from an old server (running 7.2devel from several months
ago) to a new server (running 7.2b3), using pg_dump on the *new* server,
and got the following message:

# pg_dump -h 172.16.1.84 -U postgres -t el_names -i lt_lcat > el_names.dmp
Password: <types in password>
pg_dump: query to obtain list of tables failed: ERROR: Attribute
'relhasoids' not found

Not that I need to do this, but it was convenient and I thought it was
supposed to work. Is this a problem, or am I trying to do something
unsupported?

On a side note, I was *very* happy when I was able to load a table with
~40 million rows about 30 minutes (compared to about a day+ on the old
hardware, Red Hat 6.2, and early 7.2devel Postgres). And that was
without changing the default postgresql.conf, because I forgot to do it
before I started the copy ;-). Memory usage according to 'top' never
exceeded about 5 MB.

Also worth noting, I installed successfully from an RPM which I built
from the source RPM.

Thank you to *everyone* involved in getting PostgreSQL to where it is
today! It is truly an awesome product.

-- Joe