Re: Confusion

From: Igor Kovalenko <Igor(dot)Kovalenko(at)motorola(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Confusion
Date: 2001-11-29 03:45:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Igor Kovalenko wrote:
> >
> > Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> > > This(--with-unixODBC) option was added in PostgreSQL
> > > recently and you can produce the driver for unixODBC.
> > > OTOH unixODBC has provided its own odbcpsql driver
> > > because PostgreSQL didn't provide the driver for unixODBC
> > > until recently. Probably the 2 drivers are pretty different
> > > each other currently.
> >
> > Does the driver supplied with postgres depend on something else? I do
> > not see any dependencies in the library other than standard system libs.
> > Is that normal or my build is broken?
>
> --with-unixODBC may be wrong. Probably it must be --with-unixodbc.

No, it is --with-unixODBC. That's what i see in the configure.

> --with-unixodbc or --with-iodbc needs the each package(unixODBC/
> iODBC) installed at the build time.

If I need unixODBC installed, why would I want to use --with-unixODBC at
all? I'd already have postgres driver from unixODBC package. This option
should either be made self-sufficient or removed, or at least explained
much better. As it stands now it is useless and provides nothing but
confusion. Apparently PHP's --with-unixODBC can not be used together
with Postgres's --with-unixODBC as well, because build options in PHP
assume some stuff present in unixODBC but not in Postgres.

Anyway, let's assume I manage my way through that maze somehow. Where is
documentation on odbc.ini and odbcinst.init files? Installation seems to
have only odbc.ini, but I don't believe that will be enough.
Documentation also does not describe system wide configuration, only
user-specific. Or perhaps I just don't see it.

- igor