Re: Change in rule behavior?

From: Sergio Pili <sergiop(at)sinectis(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Laura Celia Rivero <lrivero(at)exa(dot)unicen(dot)edu(dot)ar>, Jorge Doorn <jdoorn(at)exa(dot)unicen(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Subject: Re: Change in rule behavior?
Date: 2001-11-26 10:53:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What actually happened in your patched 7.1 was that the NOTIFY message
> was sent regardless of whether the WHERE condition was true or not.
> If you want that behavior, it's easy enough to get: put the NOTIFY in a
> separate rule that has no WHERE.

Oh!, you are all right of course.

In fact I not discovered this change with the Notify but with the
Deactivate Rule...
We proposed this command and you responded that you needed an example.
We send it and we don't receive answer. I take advantage to wonder for
that topic...

Using the Deactivate Rule that we propose, doesn't care that the same
one is executed regardless of whether the WHERE condition was true or
not, but that would be already a detail of the new command and not
something general as me it proposed.

Thanks and regards

Sergio.