Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)
Date: 2001-11-22 19:14:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
>
>>But
>>http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-syntax-columns.html
>>

>That documentation is in error (my fault). Current docs say
>
>xmax
>
> The identity (transaction ID) of the deleting transaction, or zero
> for an undeleted tuple. It is possible for this field to
> be nonzero in a visible tuple: that usually indicates that the
> deleting transaction hasn't committed yet,

That seems reasonable

> or that an attempted deletion was rolled back.

But could we not make it so that rollback will also reset xmax and cmax
to 0.
It should be quite cheap to do so as it's on the same page with the
commit bits ?

The meaning "last transaction that attempted to delete this tuple" seems
somewhat weird

>>I also think that this kas historically been the behaviour
>>
>No, it wasn't.

Are you sure that it was a bug not in code but in docs ?

Hannu