Re: Installing procedural language(s)

From: John Burski <John(dot)Burski(at)911ep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing procedural language(s)
Date: 2001-11-09 15:12:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks, Tom!

That did the trick!

I think what happened is that I wasn't expecting to be prompted for my
password four times. IIRC, I Ctrl-C'd the process after the third
prompt the first time. This time I decided to "humor" the process and
keep supplying the password until I wasn't prompted for it anymore or I
developed repetitive stress syndrome, whichever came first. :)

Thanks again!

Tom Lane wrote:

> John Burski <John(dot)Burski(at)911ep(dot)com> writes:
>
>> [ createlang problems ]
>

> createlang does two steps: a CREATE FUNCTION command that adds a
> "language handler" function, and then a CREATE LANGUAGE command
> that references the function. Apparently you have a database
> in which the handler function already exists but the language
> entry doesn't. Recent versions of createlang try to cope with
> this scenario but the 7.0.3 version wasn't very bright about it.
>
> I'd suggest manually dropping the plpgsql_call_handler function,
> and then createlang should run to completion.
>
> It might be that you got into this state because of some unnoted
> failure of a previous createlang attempt, so pay attention to
> any error messages this time ...
>
> regards, tom lane

John Burski
I.T. Manager and Systems Administration