Re: It's dead and won't get up!!

From: "David R(dot) Kucharski" <dave(at)iemco(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: It's dead and won't get up!!
Date: 2001-11-08 23:03:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

When I tried it your way the attached fail.log is what it spit out.
running version 7.0.3
on Linux RedHat version 7.1
I believe that it was installed as part of the original install of this
machine.
When I rebooted the machine it failed to restart. It was running earlier
today. I was building a table and used a shell escpe to locate a .txt file
that was going to be used to populate the table. when I exited from the
shell escape it killed postmaster for some reason and I haven't been able to
get it back.
thanks for your help
Dave

Jason Earl wrote:

> Okay, we are probably going to need a little more information than
> this. For example: What version of PostgreSQL are you running? What
> platform are you running it on? Did you install from source, or did
> you use someone else's precompiled binaries? What does the log file
> say?
>
> Generally speaking most PostgreSQL users use some sort of init script
> to make sure that PostgreSQL starts, we certainly don't start it from
> the command line like you see at the bottom of the postmaster(1) man
> page. In fact there is an entire program 'pg_ctl' that is
> specifically designed to do this. On my debian system I start
> PostgreSQL with a command like:
>
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
>
> And when I used RedHat's RPMs (a long time ago) they had something
> similar.
>
> Give us a little more information and we will get your server back up
> and running.
>
> Jason

Attachment Content-Type Size
fail.log text/plain 225 bytes