Re: Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>
Cc: Juan José Antonio Lix <jjantoli(at)excite(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail
Date: 2001-10-31 12:26:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Juan,

You can also look at the file "postgresql.conf" which is in the
PostgreSQL "data" directory. This has a parameter which specifies the
maximum number of connections PostgreSQL allows simultaneously, and is
read at PostgreSQL startup.

I've personally benchmarked PostgreSQL running with over 100
simultaneous connections, so it definitely works.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Jeremy Buchmann wrote:

> Juan,
>
> Look at the postmaster man page ('man postmaster') and look at
> the -N switch. That controls the maximum number of backends that
> can be started. The default is 32, which sounds consistent with your
> problem.
>
> --Jeremy
>
> On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 02:14 AM, Juan José Antonio Lix wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a it consultant and right now I'm involving in a Customer Care
> > project.
> > A month ago we decide to use a Linux platform to support the database
> > server
> > and adopt PostgreSQL as our database server. Last month we had the first
> > testing "experience". We were trying to simulate 100 concurrent users,
> > but
> > when just 30 were connected we receive the following crash:
> > "Something unusual has occured to cause the driver to fail. Please
> > report
> > this
> > exception: java.sql.SQLException: Sorry, too many clients already
> > at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:125)
> > at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:517)
> > at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:177)
> > at DbManager.connect(DbManager.java:35)
> > at Hilo.<init>(TheFrame.java:242)
> > at TheFrame.main(TheFrame.java:181)"
> >
> > If it means that PostgreSQL doesn't support more that 30 concurrent
> > users
> > unfortunately we would have to migrate our current development to
> > another
> > database server, such as MySQL or Oracle. But if, as I suppose, this is
> > just
> > a JDBC driver's bug we would like to know if another "free-bug" driver
> > is
> > available.
> >
> > This is critical for us, so please, reply me as soon as possible.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Juan José Antolínez

> > http://inbox.excite.com

> > (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)

- Indira Gandhi