Re: backup file system

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: "Leong, Fushan" <fushan(dot)leong(at)SonoSite(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup file system
Date: 2001-10-31 00:05:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 30 Oct 2001 at 15:27, Leong, Fushan wrote:

> I am working on a shell script to backup my postgres database. Compared
> with pg_dump and pg_dumpall, I would like to backup the file system
> instead of dump the database because I can shutdown the database server
> in midnight for a few hours. I also can sure I will have a stable backup.
> ( No user is doing anything at the same time )

Personally, I'd rather use pg_dump. That way I'm guaranteed to have a
file which will work with a future version of PostgreSQL.

Why do you want to back up the file system instead of using pg_dump?

SIDE ISSUE: A possible benefit of using pg_dump instead of backing up the
file system: all parts of the database are excerised/explored; any bad parts of the file system will
be identified then.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples