Re: JDBC SQLCodes or Error Numbers - Or how to handle errors

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: User One <user1(at)fictionary(dot)org>
Cc: PGSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC SQLCodes or Error Numbers - Or how to handle errors
Date: 2001-10-29 18:45:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

There are two related issues here. The first is that the database
server does not yet support error codes. Therefore the JDBC driver also
doesn't support them. This is on the todo list for the server but
didn't get done in 7.2. You can still get the error message and look at
it, but this isn't a good alternative to proper error code support.

The second issue is that with postgres you may need to rethink your
strategy here. Once postgres encounters an error it aborts the
transaction. This means you generally can't trap an error and continue
processing. When you trap an error you will need to rollback the
current transaction, start a new transaction and then continue processing.

thanks,
--Barry