Re: Disable Transaction - plans ?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>, "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, Ben-Nes Michael <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disable Transaction - plans ?
Date: 2001-10-25 00:45:25
Lists: pgsql-general

> Only when you explicitly commit, please. Autocommit when we lose the
> client connection is not acceptable, even if the client thinks he
> wants it.

There is a client-side termination handshake, and it could be tied to
that. If we can distinguish between an intentional exit and an
unexpected termination, then istm that a commit would be safe to apply
for the former.

I'm recalling that this is the behavior of Ingres, but it has been a few
years since I've dealt with it...

- Thomas