Fragmentation of WAL files

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Postgresql list Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fragmentation of WAL files
Date: 2007-04-25 17:26:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

I was recently running defrag on my windows/parallels VM and noticed
a bunch of WAL files that defrag couldn't take care of, presumably
because the database was running. What's disturbing to me is that
these files all had ~2000 fragments. Now, this was an EnterpriseDB
database which means the WAL files were 64MB instead of 16MB, but
even having 500 fragments for a 16MB WAL file seems like it would
definitely impact performance.

Can anyone else confirm this? I don't know if this is a windows-only
issue, but I don't know of a way to check fragmentation in unix.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net