Postmaster re-start problem

From: John Burski <johnb(at)911ep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postmaster re-start problem
Date: 2001-10-11 20:35:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I was just about finished transferring a database from a PostreSQL 6.5.2
installation on server A to a PostgreSQL 7.0.3 installation on server B
when I ran into a bit of trouble. Both installations are on RedHat 6.2
boxes. Here's what I did...

* On server A: ran the pg_dump command and dumped the database I
wanted to an output file.
* Transferred the output file from server A to server B.
* On server B: ran the following command: "psql -d timeclock -f
db.out -U user_manager -W". Everything completed successfully. I
opened and interactive session as user_manager and made sure
everything was there.
* On server B: edited the pg_hba.conf file to allow connectivity
from a single external host by adding the entry "host timeclock
192.168.9.30 255.255.255.255 crypt"
* On server B: ran the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres restart" command.
This is were the problem lies - the post master won't restart.

I took a look at the output of the "ps ax" command and I found the
following entry:

17756 ? R 29:09 /usr/bin/postgres localhost
user_manager timeclock id

Am I correct in assuming that this is prohibiting a restart? If so, is
it OK to kill this process off? If I can't kill it off, what are my
options?

Thanks.

--
John Burski