Genetic Query Optimizer

From: "James L(dot) Hubbard III" <jhubbard(at)mcs(dot)uvawise(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Genetic Query Optimizer
Date: 2001-10-02 06:06:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Background:

I am pursuing a MS degree at Christopher Newport University. I'm currently
looking for a subject for my thesis plus I've also got to do a simulated
(scaled down) thesis proposal for class. Since my degree program is applied,
it doesn't necessarily have to be a pure research project. My goal is to do
something that is useful, beneficial, and can be put to work.

Currently, I'm in the middle of an aritficial intelligence class which covered
genetic algorithms a couple of weeks ago. I knew that Postgresql used a geneic
algo. for large query optimizations and I thought that this might be a good
area to make a contribution.

No matter what I finally do decide on for my thesis, I've still got to
write the proposal and give a presentation for the artificial intelligence class.

Questions that I can think of for now:

Who works on the genetic query optimizer (geqo)?
From what I could find from the sources and the archives was that Martin S. Utesch
maintains it or did.

Would my input/help be wanted?
May sound silly, since anyone could post to the list and contribute,
but I just want to be sure.
Does it need to be improved?
What areas need to be improved?
Any special feature or request?
Any other ideas or recommendations?

The only recent discussion I could find was the following link which indicated
that there might be some room for improvement.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-12/msg01005.php

Any feedback/information that you can provide is appreciated.

Thank you
James Hubbard

P.S.
Here is some of the stuff I've come across while looking for information:

A Genetic Algorithm for Database Query Optimization
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/bennett91genetic.html

Genetic Programming in Database Query Optimization
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/stillger96genetic.html

Genetic Algorithms for Optimal Logical Database Design
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/vanbommel94genetic.html

Optimization Of Dynamic Query Evaluation Plans
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cole94optimization.html

Physical Database Design Using a Genetic Algorithm Approach
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/285413.html