Re: Pre-forking backend

From: Darren Johnson <darren(dot)johnson(at)home(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bradley McLean <brad(at)bradm(dot)net>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pre-forking backend
Date: 2001-09-30 23:51:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Once we have schemas (7.3, I hope), I think a lot of installations will
> have only one production database. However, if we were going to do this
> what we'd probably do is allow the DBA to configure the postmaster to
> start N pre-forked backends per database, where N can depend on the
> database. There's no reason to limit it to just one database.

The optimized version of Postgres-R uses pre-forked backends for
handling remote
write sets. It currently uses one user/database, so I'm all for having
a configurable
parameter for starting a pool of backends for each database. We'll have
to make sure
that number * the number of databases is lower than the max number of
backends at
start up.

Darren