Re: Converting from pgsql to sqlserver?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: armindo(dot)dias(at)dhvmc(dot)pt
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting from pgsql to sqlserver?
Date: 2001-09-26 14:34:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Armindo,

Ian Harding has written a guide for converting from MS SQL Server to
PostgreSQL. I know this is the opposite of what you want, but it might
be useful as it highlights some of the areas of difference between these
products :

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/sqlserver2pgsql.php

Hope that's useful.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

armindo(dot)dias(at)dhvmc(dot)pt wrote:

> Greetings.
> I don´t know if this is the right place to ask this, sorry if this don't
> belong here.
> I begun this week working in a new firm. They use linux and PostgreSQL as
> the database for the Intranet site and for the management of CV's and
> Knowledge Management (they have an on-line system to manage and search
> information about workers of the firm and projects they have).
>
> They now want to convert from the current linux/postgresql platform to
> Windows and SQLServer. I've never worked before with linux or PostgreSQL so
> i know nothing about the capabilities of this combo.
>
> My question are:
>
> - the PostgreSQL database has a lot of information. Is it possible to
> migrate the data of the PostgreSQL to SQLServer in Windows? What do i need
> to do?
>
> - is it possible to migrate the tables relationships (the relational schema)
> of the DB to SQLServer or do i have to build the DB from scratch?
>
> Thanks for reading,
> Armindo Dias

- Indira Gandhi