Re: New driver options in 7.01.0007

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Johann Zuschlag <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New driver options in 7.01.0007
Date: 2001-09-24 00:48:00
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Johann Zuschlag wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:24:14 +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>
> >Maybe yes at least for static cursors
> >and it may be a true option in the future.
> >However I'm not sure if I should do it.
> >I'm disappointed with some 7.2 changes
> >which lost the premises of my plan and
> >it's possible for me to lose my all premises
> >in the future.
>
> Since the PostgreSQL website isn't updated anymore,
> I didn't follow the discussion. Which changes do you mean?
> Did you lose all your new work? Or what do you mean
> with all premises? The whole driver?

My work about updatable cursors may lose the
meaing by a backend's change. My plan depends
on the combination of TID and OID but OIDs would
be optional in 7.2.
Strictly speaking we couldn't use xmin for
row versioning in 7.2 but we have to continue
the use of xmin becuase there's no alternative.
Unfortunately I don't understand what to depend on.

> >Hmm I'm not good at English. I'm happy to
> >change it if you give an appropriate option name.
>
> No, no your english is ok.
> (saying this, I'm not a native english speaking person)
>
> >Most driver options could be set per each DSN now.
> >'Common' is the default setting of them.
> >If you add a new DSN you would see the content
> >of the default setting at first.
>
> I thought it must be something like this.
> I just tested it. So 'Common' shows you the
> default setting and you can change that now.
> Good feature!
> What puzzles me a bit is that I would expect
> a new window where I could change the
> default behaviour.
> Hmm, why don't we call it 'show/change default'?
> Or something similiar.
> Even though a new window would clarify things.

OK I changed *Common* --> *Default* anyway.
Could someone refine the current dialogs ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue