Clustering error with present CVS

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Clustering error with present CVS
Date: 2001-09-23 04:35:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi all,

Just testing a few things out with present pre-7.2 CVS (as of a few
hours ago).

Came across the following error when clustering an index :

ERROR: IndexBuildHeapScan: concurrent insert in progress

The table in question (with about 10MB of data in it) is defined as :

Table "uniques"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-------------+-----------------------+-----------
col_key | integer | not null
col_int | integer | not null
col_signed | integer | not null
col_float | double precision | not null
col_double | double precision | not null
col_decim | numeric(18,2) | not null
col_date | character(20) | not null
col_code | character(10) | not null
col_name | character(20) | not null
col_address | character varying(80) | not null

Then an index was created (no problems) :

osdb=# create unique index uniques_key_bt on uniques using btree
(col_key);
CREATE
osdb=#

Then the cluster command was run (the problem here) :

osdb=# cluster uniques_key_bt on uniques;
ERROR: IndexBuildHeapScan: concurrent insert in progress
osdb=#

This is on Mandrake Linux 8.0, CVS of PostgreSQL as of a few hours ago,
totally default postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf. The database and tables
have just been created and loaded, and there is no difference in
behaviour whether vacuum or vacuum analyse have/haven't been run.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi