getObject()

From: Antonio Fiol Bonnín <fiol(at)w3ping(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: getObject()
Date: 2001-09-21 15:26:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I have a very poor performance on a slow network. Because of the slow
connection... you'll say. Please read more.

When looking at the traffic that is going in and out of my machine, I
see many (a real lot of) times the same request. Something like:

select typname from pg_type where oid = XXX

where XXX is a number (23, 1184, or maybe others)

As I use the getObject method to retrieve the different ocjects
contained in the resultset (I can't tell whether it's going to be an
number or a timestamp beforehand), I imagine that this select statement
is the one that helps getObject choose the right type. But, as every row
in the resultset will have the same column types, couldn't some caching
accelerate everything a lot?

I have tried to connect to CVS, but instructions on
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/cvs.html
did not work for me. I got:
cvs login: authorization failed: server postgresql.org rejected access
to /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot for user anoncvs

If you have ideas on the subject, or maybe instructions on downloading
the latest CVS version, please tell me.

Thank you very much.

Antonio Fiol
W3ping