Re: table restruct...

From: "Thurstan R(dot) McDougle" <trmcdougle(at)my-deja(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table restruct...
Date: 2001-09-20 15:23:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

"David M. Richter" wrote:

snip...
> Yes I have to do . Now I solved that problem with rename the original
> table study to _study
> then create the new right structured table study , Insert into study
> (chilioid,...,...) SELECT * FROM _study;
> Ok not elegant but it works.
>
> Another questions:
> Can I change the physical order of the rows in a database?
Look at the entry for the CLUSTER command at
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-cluster.html

> Is the order of a database under all circumstances the same? (in pg)
Normally the primary key or an ORDER BY on the SELECT force this
according to the use the specific search is for.

> That is essential for my further restruction of the database...
Changing columns is no unheard of, but changing row order is only
normally done for performance reasons... Could you say why you need
this, we suspect you do not in fact NEED it!

--
This is the identity that I use for NewsGroups. Email to
this will just sit there. If you wish to email me replace