Returning NULL from functions

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Returning NULL from functions
Date: 2001-09-20 02:01:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am working on date/time stuff, and in the spirit of cleaning up
interesting but marginally useful features I've dropped support for
"invalid" for the timestamp and timestamptz types.

To help with upgrading, I thought that I'd map it to a NULL value, and
see the following in the regression tests:

-- Obsolete special values
INSERT INTO TIMESTAMP_TBL VALUES ('invalid');
ERROR: OidFunctionCall3: function 1150 returned NULL

Is this error message a feature of all returns of NULL, particular to
input routines, or can I somehow mark routines as being allowed to
return NULL values?

Comments?

- Thomas