Re: Holiday Calculations?

From: Brett Schwarz <brett_schwarz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Holiday Calculations?
Date: 2001-09-19 00:28:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

Based on your criteria (I never really had thought about Thanksgiving
before, as far as when it hits), but here is a small Tcl proc that I
think will do it. You may need to add error checking. Takes the year
(i.e. 2001), and returns the day date (i.e. 22).

proc getTG {year} {

set di \
[clock format [clock scan $year-11-30] -format "%w"]

return [expr {30 - ((($di+1)%7)+2)}]

}

I think this will do it (It might not work for esoteric cases...I didn't
check all). Sorry, I don't know SQL well enough to give an answer in
SQL...maybe someone else will though...or maybe you can extrapolate this
proc into SQL.

I think you may be able to modify this for Memorial and Labor day as
well.

--brett