Re: Transaction size limit & Data Truncation

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Alexaki Sofia <alexaki(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transaction size limit & Data Truncation
Date: 2001-09-13 18:50:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Alexaki,

I am unsure what you mean by very long transaction. A transaction is
defined by issueing a 'begin' statement, followed sometime later by a
'commit' or 'rollback'. Therefore a long transcation would imply a long
period of time between the begin and the commit or rollback. There is
no limit that I am aware of on the length in time for a transaction.

My guess is that you mean by 'long transaction' is really 'long
statement'. In postgres versions prior to 7.0 the server had an 8k
limit on statement/query length. That was removed in 7.0, however the
7.0 jdbc driver still had the limit. I believe the 7.0.3 jdbc driver
finally removed the 8K statement length limit and it is certainly
removed in the 7.1 driver.

On your second questions, what sort of data truncation are you talking
about? Could you provide an example?

thanks,
--Barry