internet week article

From: Eric Kolve <ekolve(at)corp(dot)classmates(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: internet week article
Date: 2001-09-04 15:04:50
Lists: pgsql-general

http://www.internetweek.com/reviews01/rev090301.htm

I would be most interested to here this lists response to the following
paragraph. Though much of the specifics of the benchmark are left out,
so tuning could very much of been an issue.

Database performance is a key issue for most businesses.
If the database is slow, the business is too. Our benchmarks
showed that PostgreSQL is slower than Oracle 8.1.7 in many
operations. The tests were performed on a 1-GHz Pentium III
system with 1 GB of RAM running Red Hat 7.1.

Oracle performed the count 33 percent faster and the distinct
count 27 percent faster. The simple query was approximately
18 percent faster in Oracle, but the most concerning was the
slowdown of PostgreSQL in the two- and three-table join test.