Need help with JDBC driver. Problem, - getExportedKeys = Driver.notImplemented() exception

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Roger Bjärevall <roger(at)ideit(dot)com>
Subject: Need help with JDBC driver. Problem, - getExportedKeys = Driver.notImplemented() exception
Date: 2001-09-01 11:26:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

Does anyone know if we're planning on adding the Java
class/function/method/whatever called getExportedKeys? (I'm not a Java
programmer).

I've been looking at the free Java product called DbVisualizer
(http://www.ideit.com/innovations/dbvis/), which can connect to a
database and create an ER diagram from it, including RI information and
everything. Presently it supports several databases happily, but the
PostgreSQL JDBC 7.1.3 driver isn't passing information to it regarding
the RI relationships. So for PostgreSQL it gives a nice display of all
the tables, but no display of their relationships.

Here's a screenshot of what it's supposed to display, when all the RI
relationships are shown :

http://www.ideit.com/innovations/dbvis/images/dbvis-4.gif

In discussing this with Roger (the Product Manager of Innovative-IT who
has created this program), he says our JDBC driver gives a
Driver.notImplemented() exception when trying to find out the RI info.
(Email history detailed below).

Can anyone please assist with this?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

************

Justin,

Now I have a running 7.1.3 version of PostgreSQL.
Regarding the ref. integrity stuff. The driver
only implements getImportedKeys() but the getExportedKeys
throws a Driver.notImplemented() exception. Is there are
reason for this? (I mean if it is possible to return
imported keys then I assume exported keys could be returned
as well?)

Also, using a previous version of the driver just shows
functions in the tree while the 7.1.3 version shows
databases as well. Is this something that you are aware of?

Can you send me a SQL script that creates at least 2 tables and
the SQL to establish the foreign key relationsships between them
(referential integrity)? So I can manage to test this.
(I have browsed the documentation but cannot
find a word whether PostgreSQL supports ref. integrity or not).

Regards

Roger