Re: Escaping strings for inclusion into SQL queries

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Escaping strings for inclusion into SQL queries
Date: 2001-08-31 17:03:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I agree with Hannu, that:

* make SQL changes to allow PREPARE/EXECUTE in main session, not only
in SPI

is an important feature to expose out to the client. My primary reason
is a perfomance one. Allowing the client to parse a SQL statement once
and then supplying bind values for arguments and executing it multiple
times can save a significant amount of server CPU, since the parsing and
planning of the statement is only done once, even though multiple
executions occur. This functionality is available in the backend
(through SPI) and plpgsql uses it, but there isn't anyway to take
advantage of this SPI functionality on the client (i.e. jdbc, odbc, etc.)

I could see this implemented in different ways. One, by adding new SQL
commands to bind or execute an already open statement, or two, by
changing the FE/BE protocol to allow the client to open, parse,
describe, bind, execute and close a statement as separate actions that
can be sent to the server in one or more requests. (The latter is how
Oracle does it).

I also would like to see this added to the todo list.

thanks,
--Barry