How to start Postmaster during boot?

From: "Phillip J(dot) Allen" <paallen(at)attglobal(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to start Postmaster during boot?
Date: 2001-08-24 11:42:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

Well I compiled postgresql 7.1. for the first time on RH7.1 and all went

well (normally I just install the rpm). I followed the instructions in
the contrib/start-scripts/linux file and copied the file. After
modifying PGDATA location & adding and -i to the startup in the
postgresql file copied into the /etc/rc.d/init.d, I made symbolic links
to the rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d, and the rc5.d directories.
But in RH7.1 there is also a rc6.d directory, so I put a K02postrgresql
link into it.

Is this correct? I rebooted and it took forever to get past the
sendmail check during boot. After bootup finished my postmaster was
running and I could connect to my database over the network. So at
least psql is working well. But sendmail I don't think is working. Any

suggestions?

Thanks
Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist