Re: RedHat startup script and environment variables in 7.1.2?

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: postgres-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RedHat startup script and environment variables in 7.1.2?
Date: 2001-08-23 17:30:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu> writes:
>
> > It looks as though the init.d script "postgres" supplied with
> > 7.1.2 no longer propagates environment variables to pg_ctl. Was that
> > an intentional change? Or is this something no one else sees?
>
> It's an unintentional sideeffect of fixing the "I changed the
> postgres' users shell to tcsh and things don't work like they used to"
> problem.

Ah. Thanks!

It seems that it might be nice to have a way to set these "environment
variables" via entries in postgresql.conf? Not that I have a good way
to fit it into the syntax...:

export = "SOLISDB=...."

perhaps? (Or just add a pg_ctl.conf that contains this information:

export SOLISDB=.....

etc.) Alternate database locations seem to be part of the configuration,
since they have to be defined before starting the postmaster - hence the
suggestion(s) to put them into *.conf.

--
Steve Wampler- SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler(at)noao(dot)edu