Re: integrity and inherit

From: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: integrity and inherit
Date: 2001-08-23 12:43:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Oliver Elphick wrote:

Thanks for the quick answer !

> Referential integrity doesn't support references to inheritance hierarchies.
> You will have to redesign your database.

That is sad news, is this scheduled to be fixed in the near future ?

> For example, have a trigger on each table in the hierarchy to update a
> table of keys and use RI on that; it would also help you to maintain
> primary keys -- you probably think that table derived inherits the
> primary key constraint from base, but it doesn't. That is another problem
> with the current implementation of inheritance. :-(

I'm not quite sure what you meen. Does this mean that I sould make a rule on
insert on every enherited table, that makes sure the base is updated ?

When I do my "SELECT * FROM base" and see the value id the ID, what kind of
value am I then looking at ?

/BL