Re: Locale by default?

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locale by default?
Date: 2001-08-19 18:06:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If it's of any assistance, I'm working with the Open Source Database
Benchmark guys (osdb.sourceforge.net) to get an AS3AP-based benchmark
for PostgreSQL 7.1.x+ up-and-running reliably.

It's working on my Mandrake Linux 8.0 system here, but I need the main
OSDB guy to get back from holidays to review and commit things to their
CVS. ETA of around a week from right now. :)

My point is, if we've got decent benchmarking software (and we can
actually freely use it), we can do real-world validation tests when
considering things like Peter's suggestion.

Sounds good to me.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Tom Lane wrote:

> > (I sincerely hope that all systems' libcs have optimized paths for the C
> > locale.) So we could get rid of this --enable-locale switch
> > altogether.
>
> Some experimental evidence to support the claim that --enable-locale has
> zero cost would be good before taking this step.
>
> If any hotspots turn up, we could possibly do runtime checks:
>
> if (locale_is_c())
> strcmp()
> else
> strcoll()