Re: unix timestamp

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Ben-Nes Nimrod <nimrod(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unix timestamp
Date: 2001-08-16 20:39:36
Lists: pgsql-general

> how can i use unix timestamp as a data type?

You don't want to. Really.

> i thought that the timestamp data type use the unix timestamp but
> found out that it didnt.. :(

Right. One second resolution and limited range was considered a problem.

> do i need to use an int data type for holding unix timestamp or there
> is a data type which was build specialy for that?

I would suggest using the native timestamp type. You can convert back
and forth using various techniques, but you should find that the
examples below give you a good start:

lockhart=# select date_part('epoch',timestamp 'now');
date_part
997993780

lockhart=# select timestamp(integer '997993780');
timestamp
2001-08-16 20:29:40+00

hth

- Thomas