Re: Fix for fetchone() and fetchmany() in Python interface

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)cygnus(dot)com>, gerhard(at)bigfoot(dot)de, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix for fetchone() and fetchmany() in Python interface
Date: 2001-08-16 15:50:08
Lists: pgsql-patches

> If someone would like to take the responsibility of backpatching more
> aggressively, we should discuss that.

Actually, I think that the process worked very well in this case. The
authors of the patch had to sell pretty hard to get it included, and the
reasons (and code) were reviewed by several people in the process. An
initial "no" is a good start for something like this!

It's OK for it to be hard to get something backpatched at the last
minute, and it is good that it is not impossible to do so. And if there
is a problem with the patch, then we all can be even more conservative
next time (and no one can say that we didn't all have a chance to have
input this time).

As we get older and wiser, there is a tendency to accumulate enough
experience that we end up saying "no, because we had trouble doing this
before..." more often than might be desirable.

All imho of course.

- Thomas