Re: Encrypting columns, security

From: Digital Wokan <wokan(at)home(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encrypting columns, security
Date: 2001-08-09 07:48:15
Lists: pgsql-general

If you were to instead run your inserts, updates, and selects through a
procedure, you could achieve the same affect. You could have the select
require the decode key be passed.
>From the method you're asking about, the whole point of encrypting the
column would be undone by *ANYBODY* doing a select on it (I don't think
triggers are capable of receiving parameters).
As for storing the key... You can have the application do it or use some
calculatable key based on some other piece of information in the record
(it's serial field perhaps).