Re: Possible solution for LIKE optimization

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible solution for LIKE optimization
Date: 2001-08-06 23:40:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue writes:
>
> > I'm not familiar with non_ASCII locale.
> > Is 'ss' always guaranteed to be LIKE 's%' for example ?
>
> Yes. LIKE doesn't use any collation rules, since it doesn't do any
> collating.

Hmm I see the description like the following in SQL99 though I
don't understand the meaning.

i) If <escape character> is not specified, then the collating
sequence used for the <like predicate> is determined by Table 3,
‘‘Collating sequence usage for comparisons’’, taking <character
match value> as comparand 1 (one) and <character pattern> as
comparand 2.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue