Re: HELP! BUG? pg_dump mucks up grant/revoke

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HELP! BUG? pg_dump mucks up grant/revoke
Date: 2001-07-30 21:22:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> Keith F Irwin <kirwin14(at)home(dot)com> writes:
> > [ 7.1.2 pg_dump dumps GRANT/REVOKE for a view before the view itself ]
> >
> > This is a bug, isn't it?
>
> Yes, and a rather unpleasant one, since it will force people to do
> manual correction of their dump files, if they have views with
> permissions set on them.
>
> I think the fix will be simple (haven't looked at the code yet though).
>
> Question we need to think about: is this a sufficiently bad problem
> to justify putting out a 7.1.3 release? There are a few other
> unhappinesses in 7.1.2 that have been or could be fixed by
> back-patching, but so far I haven't felt that we needed a 7.1.3,
> given that 7.2 isn't too far away. But this bug is going to make it
> difficult for people to upgrade to 7.2, unless we provide a 7.1
> patch release first.

This *is* a problem that will make it difficult for ppl to upgrade to
7.2 because everyone will have to dump/restore, unless there is a
workaround made for 7.2 that would accept dumps with this bug. Not
everyone would be comfortable with patching their source. A lot of
people didn't build from source to begin with. Most users probably
aren't subscribed to general and won't know of this patch's existance
but would notice a new version being released.

In any case in the release notes of 7.2 this problem should be noted.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks(at)selectacast(dot)net