Re: nextval on insert by arbitrary sequence

From: Dado Feigenblatt <dado(at)wildbrain(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-Sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, josh berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: nextval on insert by arbitrary sequence
Date: 2001-07-21 00:04:47
Lists: pgsql-sql

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Dado,
>
> Maybe we're looking at this the hard way. Have you thought of simply
> putting in a DATETIME column and sorting by that?
>
> -Josh

Sorting? I might have expressed myself wrong.
I'm not concerned about sorting.
I'm concerned about giving rows in a single table an unique, sequential
numbered ID
based on a sequence per project (as in a serial counter, as in 'create
sequence specific_project_sequence;')
e.g.
rows related to project A get a number from sequence A
rows related to project B get a number from sequence B

Is it clear now, or is it me who's not understanding what you're saying?

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Dado Feigenblatt Wild Brain, Inc.
Technical Director (415) 553-8000 x???